Odds
I had my first on the job accident today. And the cause of my accident was a totally fake girl named Emma. Seriously, she's completely fake and only cares about her size 4 thighs. She sliced the side of my big toe and didn't apologize. But to be fair, she doesn't have a head. You see, at AT Loft, all the "girls" (aka mannequins) have names. Emma stands on a one foot square metal stand and as I was moving her to her new home in the store window, her metal stand sliced my toe. I'll spare most of the details, but a mop was needed to clean up and many, many bandaids were bled through. My toe is looking better tonight, but Emma better watch out... I WILL dress her in the leggings if she's not careful.
On another note, I would like to comment on a comment made by an employee of Comair which had a horrific plane crash today. He said that the plane that crashed today is so safe, it is more dangerous to sit in your living room than to fly on that type of aircraft. Are ya sure about that? I don't believe I have ever had to buckle my seatbelt on my couch due to living room turbulence or that an oxygen mask has dropped from my ceiling fan from loss of house air pressure. Although I am not a fan of flying, and plane crashes like the one today make me even less of a fan, I am not ready to accept that my couch is more dangerous than a flying piece of metal. How about including some statistics on the odds of being attacked by a mannequin instead of some post-crash jibber jabber about how safe your aircraft is?
God bless the families of those on the plane today.
On another note, I would like to comment on a comment made by an employee of Comair which had a horrific plane crash today. He said that the plane that crashed today is so safe, it is more dangerous to sit in your living room than to fly on that type of aircraft. Are ya sure about that? I don't believe I have ever had to buckle my seatbelt on my couch due to living room turbulence or that an oxygen mask has dropped from my ceiling fan from loss of house air pressure. Although I am not a fan of flying, and plane crashes like the one today make me even less of a fan, I am not ready to accept that my couch is more dangerous than a flying piece of metal. How about including some statistics on the odds of being attacked by a mannequin instead of some post-crash jibber jabber about how safe your aircraft is?
God bless the families of those on the plane today.

11 Comments:
You are so hilarious! The mannequin thing sounds like something I would do. Hope your toe feels better!
I agree that is a ridiculous comment. I have yet to experience turbulance or terrorist threats in my living room.
OUCH! That would have made a great newspaper headline:)
I agree--no one can convince me about the safety of an airplane.
I will help you take out Emma, I don't like size 2 people!
Okay incase I offend anybody - if you are a size 2 by nature, God must have liked you a lot better than me. If you are a size 2 because you work at it - let me introduce you to my 2 firends - Ben and Jerry!
You work at AT Loft?!! I'm so jealous....it is by far my most favorite store anywhere. I would love to have those great discounts! (except not on the leggings...)
Also, I'm with you on the plane safety. I never understand all those statistics about "it's safer than...." Mark flies every week for work and I'm nervous every single time. It is so hard to hear stories of crashes and still know that God is taking care of him! I, too, have been praying for those families of that little plane.
Ah, Ben and Jerry. Close, personal friends of mine. I spend every weekend with them.
Ouch...sounds painful!
As a PR person, my stomach turned when I heard that Comair comment.
It is sounding like the problem is mainly because of being on the wrong runway. But still, they should know that you publicly share your deepest apologies, say you'll look into making sure it never happens again, and do whatever possible to support the families. That's it.
The living room comment won't help the situation at all and will probably haunt them for awhile.
I hope your toe is healing! Stupid Mannequin!
Bummer! We were just there this morning. I didn't actually go into ATL but would have had I known you were working there! When do you work and what brought on the job?
If that Emma cut me, you would only see her chaulk outline in the ATL! If you know what I mean. . . I can take her out if you need me to.
We had a ceiling fan fall to the floor in a previous home. Maybe the airplane people were referring to that! NOT
Realistically, airplane crashes rarely happen (with the exception of small, private planes). I believe that The last commerical airline crash was in 2001 shortly after 9/11. Compare that with statistics about major car crashes and you can see that flying is safer statistically than getting in your car and cruising I-35. However, we rarely see constant and graphic pictures and details of deadly car crashes. They are usually only given about 15 seconds of newstime. We are flying this weekend--it is likely the safest time to fly because everyone will be on high alert and looking for every minor problem that may arise. Although I feel this way, I too don't get the living room comparison (unless maybe the man was talking specifically about Amy's living room--which sounds quite deadly and the source of her next blog post)
I say all of that to say that I feel deeply for the families affected by this crash. The horrible quote I heard in relation to this event was an airport (not KY) spokesperson who said they had a customer waiting at their location for her sister to make a connecting flight so the two could go on an Alaskan cruise. The sister was one of the 49 on that flight that crashed. The spokesperson said (I quote), "The woman was sad, but was okay and doing fine." I don't think I quoted him quite right, but the way it came off was the response one might give of an individual who just lost a pet or whose kitchen was destroyed by a fire--not a response about someone grieving a relatives unexpected passing.
I bet Emma is friends with Laguna Beach's Kami......
Dear Kelli & Scott--
I am sitting here on Oct 4 reading your blog about Scott's 30th..even before I saw Janet & Ernie's names I was moved to tears about your comment on your husband.
Yours is an awesome family and I need to read your blog more often.
I am very proud to be Janet's first cousin and I know she and Ernie are very proud of their children.
All of you are just amazing.
In His Love
Margie Fritz Singer margie@bbtel.com
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home