Saturday, July 15, 2006

Limit

Scott has always been very good at knowing when I've reached my limit with the kids. I love them like crazy, but every parent knows there sometimes is a point when you just need a break. We've been on Oprah's Debt Diet recently, and it's causing me to reach my limit much earlier than usual! Check out her website if you haven't seen the shows- it is a neat program. Anyway, we started it, not because we are in debt, but because it makes good sense and we have realized that there will never be anyone dropping bags of money and gold off at our front door. Because of the debt diet, I have engaged in some slightly insane activities, such as spending hours scanning coupons, sale ads, and making menus based on those sales and shopping 4 different grocery stores which are all very close by for the best deals on everything. You can imagine how well this goes over with a two year old and a five year old. I have also been trying to do free things with the boys like the zoo, the free movie at 10 in our area, the pool or cheap things like the previously posted about Jump House (which got me a free workout too, so who needs to pay for a gym?) All that to say, grocery days, previously fun and exciting to the kids, have turned into a nightmare for everyone, where I'm constantly saying, "No, we're not buying strawberries here, they are on sale at Tom Thumb," and hearing "WWWWHHHHHYYYYY? Baby want strawbeess!!!!!" Or, "Do they have a cookie here? Can I have a cookie? Why aren't there cookies? Can I ask her to get me a cookie?" After the second store on our way to the third is when I usually start searching the car for the Advil and begging for a bag of money on my doorstep when I return home.

Yesterday was shopping day, and when Scott got home, he took one look at my face and said, "why don't you go have some time to yourself for a while!" It pays to have a quiet, intuitive husband who notices things! Off to run errands alone and listen to Nelly Furtado if I want, I had a couple of hours to myself, which was much needed. I got home just in time to kiss my babies goodnight and then walked into a SPOTLESS house and a hot off the grill dinner just for me and Scott. He had fed the kids earlier and waited to eat with me. And after dinner, a chick flick... Failure to Launch. Thanks Scott for some time off and for noticing that I needed it before I asked.

Thanks also to those who have continued to pray for our family and check in on us after our miscarriage. We are better, but haven't been able to close that chapter completely... after seeing so many friends tear up years after their own miscarriage, I guess we may never. The pregnancy calendar in my head hasn't stopped... I should be 20 weeks, and the countdown to the due date- December 3rd- plays in my head constantly. There are some days better than others, and some situations that set off sadness, but I know God is healing our hearts.

9 Comments:

Blogger jenny biz said...

That was so nice of Scott! Glad you had some time to yourself! :)
May God continue His healing...Such a journey...
Love you guys!

8:44 AM  
Blogger MDM said...

That had me laughing at your post as usual! Does your baby really call himself, "baby?" That would melt my heart. Grief is a tough emotion. Bless you as you lean on the Lord.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Pearson Family said...

Looks like our husbands were reading the same book! I am glad you got some time alone, and with your hubby. Way to go SCOTT!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

I love your blog today. This sounds like my life. It is nice to know that someone else shares in trials and imperfection to get their dream life. Being a mother and wife and woman can be so hard. Thank you for being real. I love you!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

MDM- Ethan does call himself baby. When he was younger he didn't know who "Ethan" was. He has figured that out now, but still calls himself baby instead of his name. It's precious... I hope he does it for a long time!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Margaret K said...

Hooray for Scott!

I shop different stores for sale stuff, too. It can be taxing on the kids.

Hey, Lunar Golf is only $3.oo for kids 5 and under. It is a lot of fun and air conditioned.

I understand your pain. I still remember the due date from my first miscarriage. It will get better...

2:56 PM  
Blogger 1literatimommy said...

i love that you are so real Kelli! i know that any mom reading your blog will identify completely and be thankful for your humor and honesty (as i am!)

2:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa Renee said...

That sounds pretty neat,I am going to check out that website. I am still praying for you. I can only imagine how hard that must be. I cannot say I know how you feel, but I am feeling for you.

2:08 PM  
Blogger Phillips Family said...

I admire the fact that you shop a variety of stores. We are cheap here at the Phillips household, but I can't bring myself to hit a variety of grocery stores. Also, I shope on Sunday which is the most expensive time to buy food but I relish my hour alone (quickly figured out that baby and grocery shopping together are not the best of times). Perhaps I will be inspired by your actions. That Scott sure is one nice boy to realize you needed a break.

Still praying for you!

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home